Skip to main content

1 Month Down Only 23 Left Right?

Its already been a month since I've left home, holy cow did time fly by or whaaat. To be honest though its felt like I've been here way longer but the days can go by so fast. And I just noticed while writing this Email that its 9/11. Anyways back on track with the Weekly Email of Elder Brimhall~

Me and Elder Ruiz have been continuing and trying to find people to teach in Victorville, one of our investigators that we had barely started teaching dropped us, but I have a feeling she may come back for more. We don't have any current investigators to teach because the last missionaries just did there own thing and did nothing in their Progress Records. Pretty much left us no paperwork or foundation for us to really start from. We have been practically starting from scratch and reaching out to the Ward Council for names to visit and Less-Actives to try and bring back into activity. Most cases they talk, they aren't home, or don't want to let us in, but thats just how its gonna be. The thing I've been working on is just reaching out to people while walking down the street. Just asking them if they need any help, which most reply with "No", and then try and share a pass along card with them while trying to share our message of Jesus Christ with them and our Church. Most cases people say they'll check it out (maybe just to be nice), they say they already have enough of the work *cough* Bible *cough*, or they just don't want to talk with us. 

In most cases though, people are willing to hear our short "Power Statement" of the gospel before we continue on our merry way. Though we haven't really have the opportunity to teach people yet we have had little lessons and thoughts with Families that provide dinner for us. And with those lessons or readings we can invite them to maybe read the Book of Mormon has a family and individually, pray together, and just try and build their faith. And we also ask if there is anything we can do for them, but most the time they say "No we are alright", but hey we tried. 

Every day I see miracles happen all around, when I was younger I would see these things as a stroke of pure luck or "Wow what a coincidence." But I've come to the conclusion that everything that happens was meant to be. Like if we had a appointment with someone and they weren't home the time we tried to meet them, we would run into someone random who accepted our message and may need help in the future. Just thinking about it puts lots of crazy thoughts into your head, but its absolutely incredible being able to serve out here in Victorville. The weather feels like home but its waaay windier which is a PAIN for riding bikes but great in the heat. One thing I will say though, I have had my doubts every now and then that sometimes make their way into my mind. But I don't try to let it get to me, and by doing that is just getting right back to work, pressing forward and forgetting myself in the work that needs to be done. 

Its not going to be easy, and I don't expect it to be. But just knowing that I have a Elder Companion here beside me, and another "heavenly" companion called the Holy Ghost, and another companion called Heavenly Father. It really does uplift your spirits just reminding yourself of what we have, and what we can give back unto those who don't have this knowledge. Which is why I'm gonna do what I can for the people of California.

From your Oldest Son,
Elder Brimhall


(Excerpts from e-mailing back and forth)

Everything for the Bike cost me about $500.
And yes there is a Wells Fargo bank next to a Winco Foods nearby our apartment.
Yes I received news from the Zone Leaders that I have a package and can pick it up at Zone Activity today this P-Day.
As for the pictures, I forgot to put my camera in my bag. So from now on I'm just gonna keep it with me. Just most cases I take pictures in the apartment and I forget to take photos (mostly because I just don't take them too often). Sorry Mom~

- Another package already? Sweet! I don't know if you put any Lindsey Stirling (shes the Violinist) on the first music, but if you didn't I would really like that kind of music. Except try and find some of the more relax ones (without vocals), that would be EXTREMELY amazing. Most of her music has added beats to it that might not be acceptable, but she has some more relaxed ones I believe, if not oh whale.
- I get $150 for the Missionary Saving Funds Card every month so thats what I spend for food and other appliances that I may need.
It feels like it will be enough because the first week I spent a little under $20 for a week of food (having dinner with Members really helps). Probably because I've been having Oatmeal and Cereal for Breakfast and Cheese crispes and sandwiches for Lunch.
- For Zone activity it can be anything that is acceptable to missionary standards, but last week we played Volleyball together and talked with one another. But its during our P-Day which ends at 6:00pm and we get back to work.

But yeah just send everything to the Mission Office and the Zone leaders go down to the Mission Office every Thursday I believe to go pick up packages/mail.

As for if I need anything, I'm not so sure. I may have a need for something next week but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!! (hows everyone doing?)

- Yeah I'll be working on maintaining a healthy diet when it comes to food.
- That sucks to hear that everyone was getting sick, in fact my companion Elder Ruiz has been getting some allergy problems and bloody noses up here in the High Desert. But we've been able to keep serving.
- Glad to hear that everything seems to be going pretty smoothly, (I still need to send that phone back home, never been able to get it into a package of some sort or maybe a mail slip thats big enough).
- Cool thing about music (if you got the iPod) I think with a flashdrive and iPod you can connect the two to a computer and switch around the music from Flashdrive to iPod, if not I think I can find a way to make it work. Either way I could always send it in the mail and wait till it arrives.
- Volleyball was pretty entertaining, we just played around with it and kept making remarks at one another jokingly, just lots of fun being able to play with other missionaries.

This will be the last email I send before I gotta go, so I hope everyone does well in everything they put their minds to!
Thanks for everything Mom! Hopefully I have more stories to write about (and pictures) when next week rolls around!

From,
Elder Brimhall

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 30, 2018

We had a mission conference yesterday so our preparation day got switched today for the time being. But we might be having a temple trip sometime this next month in November, but I'll try and warn you and everyone in advance. I honestly dont know if I will, just thinking about it makes me queasy. I know that trials are for the better, but I really really really want it to be done. Truly. I'm going to be sending a letter to the Mulder's sometime today or tomorrow, cause I am thankful for them. I dont even know anymore honestly.  Yeah I heard about Elder Noorlander's little brother coming to the mission a couple weeks back. Everyone here was honestly shocked, because as far as I know that's never happened. He comes into the mission sometime in December I believe. Well my new companion is Elder Singleton, and as far as I am concerned I hope and pray I only stay with him for this one and only transfer. He was trained by actually my trainer (my 2nd one), Elder Chris

January 14, 2019

Yup transfers happened today and Elder McLaughlin is leaving to go finish training another Elder who just came out 6 weeks ago. He'll do great out there, I'm getting Elder Johnson (he came out into the mission when I was in my 4th transfer in Ontario) and he's from North Carolina! I've served around him quite a bit so this'll be fun! I think PDay will still be the same. We can email from our phones and not everything is closed so it'll be fine, what holiday is coming up? I don't know anything so far as of right now concerning my mission reassignment. It'll probably be talked about later in the future, still up in the air but I believe President Taylor has been talking with the neighboring missions concerning what'll happen.  Mary did pass her baptismal interview though this past Wednesday! She's super excited for her baptism coming up really soon. We started making her baptismal program for her and inviting everyone we know to come and attend.

August 20, 2018

Alright Question time: 1. How'd the week go? Well we had zone conferences so we had it in the desert and the valley so that took out a good chunk of time during the day. But I was able to learn a lot regarding studies and how can we get more out of them. After all the purpose of studying is rooting ourselves more in the gospel and replenishing our understanding. I feel like if we have a purpose of why we are studying or praying to learn about new things it'll be given unto us. 2. Anything exciting? Well recently our mission and a couple missions ran into a little problem. All the missions with technology using the MaaS360 app had a pretty harsh thing happen. Somehow all the apps or things we use got disabled and removed so we no longer have our Area Book Planner, Facebook Messenger, and a ton of other apps that are to make the work move forward. Lots of missionaries called us this morning. I counted 22 phone calls and 11 text messages from all different missionaries