Skip to main content

September 24, 2018

Did You Think to Pray?

I actually took pictures this week. And for some odd reason this computer is denying me the right to access those photos... Hold back the pitchforks for now, I'll fix the problem sometime soon. But besides from that one. The title comes from a praying mantis I saw while knocking on doors. I went to go ring a doorbell and there is this giant praying mantis guarding the bell. I ended up not wanting to fight the thing and knocked on the door.

Something our mission does every transfer (which is a six week period of time kept by missionaries), we have this thing called a zone conference. And all the missionaries here in the desert got together. Which is always a fun experience being out for little over 13 months now seeing people I've grown to meet and love during my time here and catching up with them. But the whole reason we got together was to learn and grow in our service out here. And something that stuck out to me was learning to set goals, but most importantly be consistent with them. For example, setting a specific goal with a time frame, then you can gauge your success and effort that came from that goal. Thus you can follow up and keep recommitting yourself to improve at a more consistent rate. GO FIGURE!! There was a lot of information but it was mostly about asking God, "what can I improve on?" Then seeing where we need to improve, and effectively working on that.

Back tracking to what happened this last week. We created some morning basketball games with our Ward Mission Leader, couple members of the church, and their friends. So we wake up earlier and head towards the church building at 6:30AM till 7:30 AM every Tuesday and Thursday, and play basketball in teams of usually whoever shows in 3v3, 4v4, or 5v5s. Its been a bit of a slow turn out but more people have been coming and it gives us an opportunity to build relationships with people outside a "formal" setting. I also realized I stink at basketball, I'm getting beat by old men, don't tell them I said that though. 

But of course, my entire purpose to be out here is to invite others to come unto Jesus Christ, by helping them receive the restored gospel. AND BY DOING THAT, we knock lots of doors and talk to as many people as we can out here. Which means we are outside, a lot, but thank goodness for water, its a life saver. Not only that, this desert of Apple Valley actually has legit trees, not the excuses of twigs we get back home in Arizona in some cases. On top of that, its got some ranches, talked with this one cowboy who claimed he has 25 horses, he showed us 5 of them, and it was impressive. Imagine an old western movie cowboy, that's the man we talked to. 

Besides from that though, nothing too exciting is happening right now. I also might seem to bore people with the lack of content. So I'm going to try and brainstorm some ideas and things that would spice it up out here. Otherwise I gotta get rolling, I love you all! Bai Bai!

- Elder Brimhall

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 30, 2018

We had a mission conference yesterday so our preparation day got switched today for the time being. But we might be having a temple trip sometime this next month in November, but I'll try and warn you and everyone in advance. I honestly dont know if I will, just thinking about it makes me queasy. I know that trials are for the better, but I really really really want it to be done. Truly. I'm going to be sending a letter to the Mulder's sometime today or tomorrow, cause I am thankful for them. I dont even know anymore honestly.  Yeah I heard about Elder Noorlander's little brother coming to the mission a couple weeks back. Everyone here was honestly shocked, because as far as I know that's never happened. He comes into the mission sometime in December I believe. Well my new companion is Elder Singleton, and as far as I am concerned I hope and pray I only stay with him for this one and only transfer. He was trained by actually my trainer (my 2nd one), Elder Chris

January 14, 2019

Yup transfers happened today and Elder McLaughlin is leaving to go finish training another Elder who just came out 6 weeks ago. He'll do great out there, I'm getting Elder Johnson (he came out into the mission when I was in my 4th transfer in Ontario) and he's from North Carolina! I've served around him quite a bit so this'll be fun! I think PDay will still be the same. We can email from our phones and not everything is closed so it'll be fine, what holiday is coming up? I don't know anything so far as of right now concerning my mission reassignment. It'll probably be talked about later in the future, still up in the air but I believe President Taylor has been talking with the neighboring missions concerning what'll happen.  Mary did pass her baptismal interview though this past Wednesday! She's super excited for her baptism coming up really soon. We started making her baptismal program for her and inviting everyone we know to come and attend.

August 20, 2018

Alright Question time: 1. How'd the week go? Well we had zone conferences so we had it in the desert and the valley so that took out a good chunk of time during the day. But I was able to learn a lot regarding studies and how can we get more out of them. After all the purpose of studying is rooting ourselves more in the gospel and replenishing our understanding. I feel like if we have a purpose of why we are studying or praying to learn about new things it'll be given unto us. 2. Anything exciting? Well recently our mission and a couple missions ran into a little problem. All the missions with technology using the MaaS360 app had a pretty harsh thing happen. Somehow all the apps or things we use got disabled and removed so we no longer have our Area Book Planner, Facebook Messenger, and a ton of other apps that are to make the work move forward. Lots of missionaries called us this morning. I counted 22 phone calls and 11 text messages from all different missionaries