Skip to main content

April 9, 2018

Question Time:
1. My week was definitely interesting, I'll tell you about it in a bit later on in this email.
2. I have no idea yet, I'll be in the office tomorrow so I'll look for it and see if it came in the mail. We don't open those suckers until later and its going to be quite a hassle trying to figure these things out before we roll out ALL the smartphones to all the missionaries but I am looking forward to it and seeing the success that can be found. And yes I will be becoming a Facebook missionary, whoopdy doo for you!
3. Ideas for him? Well I was thinking of trying to get him something but I keep running out of time and forgetting but don't tell him that. I LOVE HIM, just shipping is really expensive... But maybe something that I thought of is giving him a book series called Mystborn or another series by Brandon Sanderson, I heard his books are really awesome and I'll probably read them when I get back. I honestly don't know, you know better than I do anyways!!
4. No please don't order a pizza to the mission office. Its part of the Lord's church and I don't know if he wants grease and other stuff in there. Plus that money could be used on better things. I appreciate the offer but I am going to have to ruin your fun, sorry Mom!!
5. He is from Fort Worth Texas and no he does not have an accent. He looked at that email and just squinted and said "Meh". Love the man.
6. Here are some beloved pictures and don't worry I'll for sure take more when I get that phone, maybe... No promises but I'll try!!

Alright this week was pretty interesting. We got to pick up a missionary from the airport and for his first day in the mission he was able to proyslete with us! And he got to speak his assigned mission language which is MANDARIN. Was pretty sweet but he is still learning, he'll do awesome. This week was the first "normal" week as an office Elder and honestly... To be brutally honest this area is pretty hard when it comes to missionary work. The people here in Rancho Cucamonga since it is a "nicer" and more "expensive" place to live all these people are busy or do not have time. And the most common answer is "They are fine where they are at." Except I keep thinking of the scripture "Woe unto them who say all is well..." I keep thinking back and just keep saying to myself, no worries, they'll eventually come together and use that brain... But something interesting happened to me and my zone leader. On exchanges were trying to contact people practically all day in the Victoria Ward and too be brutally honest I've seen better days with happier smiles than that Saturday. But yesterday while fasting and attending church on the Sabbath day everything that was shared in people's testimonies, lessons, and participation showed me that there is still hope to find people out here in California. And in fact right after church we tried a potential past missionaries ran into and he told us he had just stopped drinking a week ago and wants to change his life around and we set up a time to meet with him on Sunday at 4:00pm. And right after that we had a dinner with a member that just rejuvenated my love for missionary work and we continued throughout the night trying to find people and ran into another miracle. Getting in contact with another investigator that has been really busy and recommitted him to read the Book of Mormon. And honestly the negatives I experienced that day just vanish in the joy that comes forth.

That's something I want to testify of. True happiness comes from the source of all truth and love and that is Jesus Christ himself and the plan God has for all of us. Nothing can replace that and its something we constantly have to be reminded of. WE KNOW IT, but we have to constantly be reminded of it which is why we come together in church to reminded of the love we have for one another as children of God. And honestly when I get back home I want to get involved in missionary work when I return with the missionaries back home. Because fellow shipping on a social level is so crucial when it comes to experiencing the love the gospel can bring to others. They need examples of love and I know our family can definitely provide that atmosphere. But yeah that is my two cents, its been a pretty fun week but there is more fun to be had. LOVE YOU MOMMA, BYEEE

- Elder Brimhall




Question Time:
1. Trying to implement the smartphones and technology is going to be such a hassel because we are also switching from AT&T to T-Mobile so we have to get SIM cards and prepare those for when we switch that way everyone doesn't lose their phone stuff. But once it gets all out its gonna be really awesome.
2. Today my day is like... Well actually we went hiking this morning to start the day, cleaned up the apartment, went grocery shopping, and now I am emailing you guys so yeaaaah. And on top of that we'll get lunch after this and I might get a haircut because my hair is out of control kind of. Was experimenting kind of. 
3. No I am not in the same ward but I know the boundaries are pretty close.
4. Funny things that have happened? Well we picked up a missionary who speaks Mandarin just this Monday and we got to take him out contacting and he had the opportunity to speak his language to someone but it was hard for him but pretty awesome. Nothing too funny yet though, I'll let you know though.
5. With the new missionaries we get to make manuals for them, bedding supplies, making sure they are in the system and just making sure they have everything they need. Nothing too drastic but we get to talk and meet with them when they first came in so that is pretty fun.

I'll definitely take opportunity I can seize. This new area I am in is in all honesty, really brutal for missionaries. I am in one of apparently the 2nd richest places in Rancho Cucamonga and so people are very set in their ways and very comfortable. And I've been trying to figure out, what can I do to switch up my approaches and help people realize THERE IS MORE HAPPINESS IN OTHER THINGS. Because this past week we have been getting a lot of cold shoulders and slammed doors on our faces, like all combined throughout my mission I had more in one week than all my time spent in my last areas. And on top of that the ward is pretty darn small unfortunately and we share it with another pair of missionaries because we work in the office so they have "pity on us" so to say but we make every opportunity to get out and teach so its a little disappointing. But yesterday while fasting and attending church on the Sabbath day everything that was shared in people's testimonies, lessons, and participation showed me that there is still hope to find people out here in California. And in fact right after church we tried a potential past elders ran into and he told us he had just stopped drinking a week ago and wants to change his life around and we set up a time to meet with him on Sunday at 4:00pm. And right after that we had a dinner with a member that just rejuvenated my love for missionary work and we continued throughout the night trying to find people and ran into another miracle. Getting in contact with another investigator that has been really busy and recommitted him to read the Book of Mormon. And honestly the negatives I experienced that day just vanish in the joy that comes forth.

So its pretty awesome seeing how the positives completely outweigh the negatives in every outlook and perspective. Its easy to see like for example, you stub your toe "Who the heck put that table there?!" We can think "How can I avoid that pain again??" And its really cheesy and stupid but it changes everything in your attitude and just looking at life. If we focused on every bad day we ever had or ever rude comment our life would be pretty awful. But God has given us the ability to remember Him and the positive impact He has in our lives and how there is something to strive for. Every negative can be stomped down and forgotten with the positive that comes from serving the Lord and those we love most. Its pretty awesome. But yeah that is my two cents to the world, no need to be grumpy. BE HECKING HAPPY!!

Love you Daddio, keep being awesome and go kick Grant's butt in basketball, and make sure to tell Bryson that "Beep beep driving is fun",
- Elder Brimhall

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 30, 2018

We had a mission conference yesterday so our preparation day got switched today for the time being. But we might be having a temple trip sometime this next month in November, but I'll try and warn you and everyone in advance. I honestly dont know if I will, just thinking about it makes me queasy. I know that trials are for the better, but I really really really want it to be done. Truly. I'm going to be sending a letter to the Mulder's sometime today or tomorrow, cause I am thankful for them. I dont even know anymore honestly.  Yeah I heard about Elder Noorlander's little brother coming to the mission a couple weeks back. Everyone here was honestly shocked, because as far as I know that's never happened. He comes into the mission sometime in December I believe. Well my new companion is Elder Singleton, and as far as I am concerned I hope and pray I only stay with him for this one and only transfer. He was trained by actually my trainer (my 2nd one), Elder Chris

January 14, 2019

Yup transfers happened today and Elder McLaughlin is leaving to go finish training another Elder who just came out 6 weeks ago. He'll do great out there, I'm getting Elder Johnson (he came out into the mission when I was in my 4th transfer in Ontario) and he's from North Carolina! I've served around him quite a bit so this'll be fun! I think PDay will still be the same. We can email from our phones and not everything is closed so it'll be fine, what holiday is coming up? I don't know anything so far as of right now concerning my mission reassignment. It'll probably be talked about later in the future, still up in the air but I believe President Taylor has been talking with the neighboring missions concerning what'll happen.  Mary did pass her baptismal interview though this past Wednesday! She's super excited for her baptism coming up really soon. We started making her baptismal program for her and inviting everyone we know to come and attend.

August 20, 2018

Alright Question time: 1. How'd the week go? Well we had zone conferences so we had it in the desert and the valley so that took out a good chunk of time during the day. But I was able to learn a lot regarding studies and how can we get more out of them. After all the purpose of studying is rooting ourselves more in the gospel and replenishing our understanding. I feel like if we have a purpose of why we are studying or praying to learn about new things it'll be given unto us. 2. Anything exciting? Well recently our mission and a couple missions ran into a little problem. All the missions with technology using the MaaS360 app had a pretty harsh thing happen. Somehow all the apps or things we use got disabled and removed so we no longer have our Area Book Planner, Facebook Messenger, and a ton of other apps that are to make the work move forward. Lots of missionaries called us this morning. I counted 22 phone calls and 11 text messages from all different missionaries